In an effort to eat healthier, and having more fresh produce readily available, this weeks recipe comes from my Eating For Life Cookbook - by Bill Phillips.
For those that don't know Bill Phillips, he was the original creator of Body for Life - long before Biggest Loser or any of the other weightloss shows hit the market. Body for Life as a program is phenomenal - both eating and weight training, because cardio just isn't enough. Muscle burns more calories than fat SOOOOO more muscle = higher metabolism... regardless of your age!
Okay off my soapbox for now. We had this recipe last week and it was dynamite!
4 portions Egg Noodles (about 8 oz uncooked)
1 onion chopped
1 red bell pepper sliced
1 zucchini, sliced
4 portions lean ground turkey (about 1 lb.)
2 cups tomato sauce
2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
2 Tbsp red wine (optional - I left it out)
1. Prepare egg noodles according to package directions.
2. Lightly coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Over medium-high heat, saute chopped onion for 2 minutes. Add bell pepper to the onion and saute for another 2 minutes. Add zucchini and saute for 2 more minutes. Remove vegetables & set aside.
3. Add ground turkey to the skillet and saute until no longer pink (about 10 min.)
4. When the ground turkey is done, return vegetables to the skillet. Add tomato sauce, basil & red wine (optinal). Cook stirring occassionally for 5 minutes or until heated through.
5. Place a portion of noodles on each plate and top with a portion of Turkey Goulash mixture. Serve & enjoy!
Try it! I bet you'll like it and you won't even know it's turkey! :)